Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Guest Post: Healthy Snacking by Brit!

If you haven't met Brittany yet, you are seriously missing out. She's one of those people who you feel connected to immediately because they're just THAT awesome. I've never met in real life, but she's real life besties with one of MY real life besties, so ipso facto.... we're besties, right? (Is that even the right way to use the phrase ipso facto? Anyway.) Brittany blogs all about how to stay healthy while still enjoying food. And she didn't mention it on her own, so I will: she just got published for the first time!!! I basically have a famous person posting on my blog today. Long story short, you will love her. Take it away, Brit!!


Hi! I’m Brittany and I blog over on my site Wine, Cheese, and Workout Capris. I am so excited to be writing a guest post for Alyssa’s blog. My blog focuses on how I’m trying to live the healthiest life I can while still enjoying my favorite things, which is wine and cheese (let’s be honest, I’m never giving those up). In the spirit of trying to incorporate health and fitness into everyday life, I’m writing to you about some simple, healthy snacks.

As summer winds down I always feel that I get quite a bit busier in the fall. In order to stay energized and on track I do best when I fuel myself properly with healthy snacks throughout the day. However, let’s face it, I’m lazy and I’m not one to prepare time-intensive food so here are some of my favorite, easy, healthy snacks. Most of these options you can simply buy in bulk and keep at your desk or in your backpack.


Anything with Peanut Butter or Hummus
I LOVE hummus and peanut butter (but not combined together, that would be gross). I eat one or the other every day whether it’s on pita chips, celery sticks, or other sliced vegetables. Choosing a protein-rich spread like peanut butter or hummus helps keep you fuller longer and is a much healthier alternative, over something like Ranch dip.

I always keep a jar of peanut butter at my desk at work and reach for it when I have an afternoon snack attack. See?
Also, these are my thoughts on hummus and bell peppers, just in case you were wondering:

Kale Chips
Heed my warning…


When 3 p.m. rolls around at work and I start to get hungry again, I usually want to reach for something salty and savory and the vending machine beckons me to come buy potato chips. And for the first 6 months that I worked at my job, I did usually give in and get the potato chips and promptly gained 10 pounds in that time. I’m not even kidding.
Don’t be like me and gain 10 pounds. You can indulge your salty treat obsession to your heart’s content just by doing one thing: switching to kale chips. I have literally made 8 humongous batches of kale chips in the last month alone because I adore the treat so much. By switching from potato chips to kale chips you’ll save yourself a TON of calories and you’ll be delivering your body a nutrient dense snack.
You can buy them pre-made but I much prefer homemade kale chips and they’re easy to make! For directions, check out my post on how to make kale chips.

Instant Oatmeal
One thing I have found since I have started transitioning to healthier eating habits is that halfway through the day, whether I have had lunch or not, I am still ravenous. One way I tide myself over until dinner is with instant oatmeal packets. All you have to do is add water and pop them in the microwave and you have a super healthy snack.
Plus, you’re doing your body a favor since oatmeal is full of fiber, aids in lowering cholesterol, stabilizes blood sugar, and is full of antioxidants.
Also, if you add a scoop of peanut butter to your oatmeal you’re doubling your healthy protein intake (See how I incorporated peanut butter again? Yes, I am obsessed)


Frozen Fruit
I know, this sounds like an odd snack to keep on hand. However, it is actually really versatile and can be used in so many ways. I often bring a large bag of frozen strawberries or mixed berries and keep it in my freezer at work and then use it throughout the week in the following ways:
  • As a yogurt or oatmeal topping
  • In a mid-afternoon smoothie
  • Plain and slightly thawed – it’s like a cool, healthy sweet treat!
  • In a glass of water for extra flavor
However, my favorite way to enjoy frozen fruit is in a cocktail of course!

On-The-Go Store Bought Options
If you’re totally in a bind, starving, and haven’t brought any of the previously snacks along with you, here are some of my favorite options you can find at any grocery or convenience store.

  1. Sargento Pepper Jack String Cheese
  2. Clif White Chocolate Macademia Nut Bar
  3. Greek On The Go Yogurt Strawberry Granola Bites
  4. Terra Original Vegetable Chips
  5. Skinny Pop Popcorn
  6. Whole Fruit Valencia Orange Greek Frozen Yogurt
  7. Healthy Choice Thai Style Chicken with Brown Rice Soup
  8. Triscuit Brown Rice and Sweet Potato Crackers

That’s all I have! If you try any of the snacks I mentioned I hope you like them. Thanks for reading and have a beautiful day!!

Cheers!


And check out one of the sweetest (literally! get it?) bloggers I know, Leslie!

3 comments:

Kelly Louise said...

i love making kale chips, they are SO good!!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Hello Brittany nice to meet you.....

Laura Mock said...

Two of my besties on one blog?! I can't get enough! Love both of you!

Labels

#IHeartMyNailArt (1) Adulthood (2) Alyssa Said What? (2) April Fool's Day (1) Awards (2) BB Cream (1) Beauty and Skincare (3) Beer (1) Being That Guy (1) Blogging about Blogging (14) Bloggy Friends (5) Bravo (1) Bullying (1) Celebrities (4) China Glaze (1) Clothing (1) Cohabitating (1) Color Club (1) Confetti Friday (4) Dad (2) Dirty Sexy Politics (1) Dr Jart Skincare (1) Ella Fitzgerald (1) Entertainment (3) Essie (1) Family (6) Fathers Day (1) filibuster (1) Funny Stuff (1) Garrett (14) Giveaways (1) Guest Posts (1) Hall of Fame (10) Happy Things (2) Home Decor (2) Hope (1) Hot Topics (1) Inspiration (7) July (1) Kathryn (2) Kelly Blazek (1) Kelsey (1) Link Parties (6) Lists (1) Long Distance Relationships (1) Look Good (1) Mani Monday (2) Margaret Thatcher (1) Matthew Quick (1) Meghan McCain (1) Miley Cyrus (1) Millennials (1) Mom (1) Monday Thoughts (1) monthly recap (1) Mr Rogers (1) Nail Art (1) Nail Polish (2) NMB (2) Norfolk (1) OPI (1) Oscar Wilde (1) Outfit of the Day (1) Personal (18) Pictures of Me (3) Politics (2) Prince Harry (1) Quotes (8) Reaching My Goals (4) Real Life Friends (6) Reality Shows (3) Recipes (1) Relationship Thoughts (1) Sally Hansen (2) Shoes (1) Son of a Peach (1) Sponsors (1) Stevie (2) Stuff I Love (6) Sunday Currently (18) Sunday Musings (1) Sunday Social (1) Teen Mom (2) Texas (1) The Food Network Magazine (1) The Great Gatsby (1) The Office (3) The Real Housewives of New Jersey (1) The Silver Linings Playbook (1) The Wine Life (1) Thirsty Thursday Link-Up (2) Thursday Thoughts (5) Trayvon Martin (1) TV Shows I Love (6) Walgreens (1) Weekending (10) Weekly Roundup (24) Wendy Davis (1) Wesley (2) What I Read (2) What I Wish I Was Wearing (1) What I Wore (4)